Quick Route To Success
A rock label recently told me they use Facebook, Last.fm and Myspace to market their artists and what else could they do, so I thought I’d share my response….
- Facebook, Myspace and also…..Bebo – got a reputation for being ‘Pop’ but there is a big diversity on there.
- iLike.com is also very good, especially when combined with Facebook Pages
- ArtistData.com can be used to make updating profiles easier, and works with MySpace & Virb
- Use RSS on sites as much as possible to cut down on duplication.
- Google Calendar can help with tour dates and event info. Use Google Analytics on everything.
- Reverb Nation has some excellent tools but lacks sufficient audience numbers to gain mass exposure – however, the widgets can be really useful on MySpace and Facebook.
- If an artist has a strong fan community then http://www.ning.com is fantastic, and can be combined with Reverb Nation, Google Cal, Flickr and Facebook
- YouTube is often missed as a social network but it can work really well if you can build sufficient numbers of subscribers – start by creating channels.
- Use www.Trendrr.com to measure buzz
- Use http://www.whostalkin.com/ to see who is talking about an artist
- Use Yahoo Pipes to create aggregated feeds and run through Feedburner to create the ultimate artist RSS feed for fans
- And finally, use www.usernamecheck.com to see which fans have beaten you to your artist name