How To Get The Most From Advertising Your Artist On YouTube
Over the last couple of years we’ve advertised many live shows and festivals for artists, including Elton John and Paul McCartney. Networks we use include the major music publishers such as NME, Last.fm, Quietus etc. We also place banners on YouTube and Facebook. The ad network & format which consistently delivers the most impressions and clicks is YouTube ‘video overlays’, which appear above the video. Here are some tips:
- Go to Last.fm, type in the name of the artist you are targeting and get the 10 most similar artists
- Create separate Google Campaigns for each artist.
- Create a set of keywords for each artist
- Create a video overlay banner ad, 480×70. An image is twice as effective as text.
- Use the word ‘Show’ instead of ‘Gig’. This can be over 5 times more effective.
- Localise the campaigns, so you ideally name the venue closest to where the person lives.
- In the banner, ideally try to name a song the artist is going to perform. E.g. “Elton John will be performing ‘Your Song’ as his show on Feb 1st in Liverpool”
This is long-winded and takes time but achieves by far the best results, sometimes over 10x as effective as a display ad on other music networks. Plus, once it is set up can usually be copied.